Having a kid is not cheap. Having two kids is downright uber-expensive.
Over the past 5 or 6 months I have been experimenting with ordering clothes for our 19 month old daughter and 3 month old son from AliExpress. If you don’t know what AliExpress is yet, then you are about to have your mind blown – and, about to save one heck of a lot of money.
When our first child was born, I told you all about the wonders of Amazon and their Subscribe and Save. Don’t get me wrong, I still love Amazon, and still get multiple packages per day. Amazon is incredible for household needs which are required quick; AliExpress is incredible for items that can be planned out in advance.
Wikipedia does a great job at explaining what AliExpress is:
AliExpress is an online retail service based in China that is owned by Alibaba… it is made up of small businesses… that offer products to international online buyers… it facilitates small businesses to sell to customers all over the world, and one can find almost anything for sale.
It is more accurately compared to eBay, as sellers are independent, using AliExpress as a host to sell to consumers and other businesses.
Sellers on AliExpress can be either companies or individuals. Aliexpress is different from Amazon because it acts only as an e-commerce platform and doesn’t sell products directly to consumers. It directly connects Chinese businesses with buyers.”
Got it? Essentially, it is a way to connect with Chinese factories and cut out all the middlemen and retail outlets.
Here are some examples of items that I have recently purchased on AliExpress, with the price paid:
Yes. You read those prices correctly. Yes, that is a goose down filled jacket and snow pants for only $70.51. Yes, those nightlights for $11. I have purchased everything from onsies, to changing pads, to sweaters, to iron-on patches, to caps, to hats, to pants, and many many more things.
Here’s the skinny:
1. It takes anywhere from 15 days to 3 months to get your clothes – you can pay extra to expedite shipping.
The nice thing about kids clothe is that they are kind of like a one size fits all for age groups – so, I typically buy for the following seasons, hence me already getting Haddie’s winter jacket and sweatpants.
2. You are not getting name-brands, and I stay away from the knock-offs. But, so far the quality has been incredible. Of the hundreds of items that I’ve purchased, only one t-shirt feels like it was not of the highest quality and material. But, that t-shirt costs like $0.50, so no big loss there.
3. I only purchase products with a lot of reviews, and more importantly, I only purchase products with a lot of reviews with real photos in them. Most sellers really push hard for a 5-star review, and will push you for a solid-review – so, make sure you check out the photos.
4. Worried that you are going to order something, and it will just not arrive? Fear not! There is a delivery period, and if your items do not arrive, then AliExpress will refund you the money. So far I’ve had to use this twice.
5. Shipping is free! But, as mentioned, it can take a really long time – but, you can pay to expedite your shipment.
So, head over to AliExpress and have some fun and do some shopping. You can thank me later. Are you a parent that shops on AliExpress?? Share your top stores in the comments below! 👇